Shawn Reeves, physics teacher

Introduce yourself to the rest of us. Explain your interests and experiences. Browsers may search for experts in topics like fuel cells, solar cooking, or nuclear fission.
shawn
Site Admin

Shawn Reeves, physics teacher

Post by shawn »

I teach physics, although right now (Oct. 2006) I run EnergyTeachers.org as a full-time job. I've taught 4th through 13th grade, physics, math, music, chemistry, environmental science, earth science, and biology, mostly at a public high school in NYC but also at an independent school in Warsaw, Poland.
I'm active in Amer. Association of Physics Teachers, Northeast Sustainable Energy Association, Boston Area Solar Energy Association, and the Massachusetts Girls Collaborative.
I've been working a lot this year on solar ovens, especially as a way to teach about thermodynamics.
I'm into library research. I know that students can tell we're into our subjects when we read trade books about those subjects, so I like pointing out good books for teachers' "background."
It's been tough getting EnergyTeachers.org going, I think because teachers aren't used to working, on curriculum, with teachers outside their school.
shawn
Site Admin

Re: Shawn Reeves, physics teacher

Post by shawn »

Update
I am teaching electronics labs at Babson College part time, active in American Association of Physics Teachers, and have received some special experience since 2006. Since then I developed Green Dollhouse Challenge, taught several courses to a home school cooperative in Ithaca, New York, and took a course in the history of science and a graduate course in education at Cornell, where I already had a graduate degree in education and a bachelors in the history of physics—Just keeping the wheels greased!
shawn
Site Admin

Director, High School Physics Photo Contest

Post by shawn »

From 2023-2025, I am directing the High School Physics Photo Contest at American Association of Physics Teachers.
https://aapt.org/Programs/PhotoContest/index.cfm