Serious text on renewables technology, science, engineering

Book reviews, book requests, swaps, libraries. Are you looking for a book that covers a specific topic or is appropriate for a certain grade level? Podcasts, radio shows, and information for the blind. Videos, YouTube, video journals, etc.
shawn
Site Admin

Serious text on renewables technology, science, engineering

Post by shawn »

I've borrowed an invaluable book from the library recently: Understanding Renewable Energy Systems by Volker Quaschning. The english translation, published in 2005, is based on the 2003 book in German. If you have a student who asks "does the grass growing on the ground next to our tilted array of photovoltaics make a difference in the power generated?" get them a copy! The physics, the engineering, the path of the sun, AC and DC generation, diffuse and direct light, thermal conductivity of different materials, shapes of thermal absorbers, etc., is all there. If you have a question about the technology or math, so much of that is also there.
The title also comes with software including digital copies of all the figures in the book, which will be very useful for educational presentations, and programs for Windows, which I haven't tried (shout out to all my Mac peeps!).