Coop Ext. offers innovative summer internship on energy action
Submitted by Shawn Lindabury
*Make an Impact this Summer! Join the Energy Corps.*
The Tompkins Energy Conservation Corps is an exciting campaign to scale up home energy efficiency upgrades, that's making real change in Tompkins County. The Energy Corps is a program of Cornell Cooperative Extension of Tompkins County.
*MAKE AN IMPACT*. Energy Corps members join a high-powered team of 10-20 people building a market for energy upgrades. Energy Corps members have:
- Worked directly with elected officials and community leaders to cut carbon, create green jobs, and stimulate the local economy
- Conducted home energy assessments for over 125 community leaders in Tompkins County
- Coordinated the Lighten Up Tompkins! campaign which delivered an energy-efficient light bulb to 5,000 households in 3 hours – the largest in New York State history
*GET HANDS-ON*. Energy Corps members will:
- Receive training in commercial and home energy efficiency and conservation
- Support residents and businesses in making energy upgrades
- Work with elected officials and community-based organizations
- Build collaborations for a green jobs workforce and innovative clean energy financing
- Replicate the Energy Corps in other communities in New York State
*GAIN VALUABLE EXPERIENCE*. Energy Corps members gain leadership skills and practical experience in home energy efficiency that leads to jobs after graduation. Over 65% of Energy Corps member graduates are hired in energy-related jobs – even with no experience prior to joining the program.
*HOW DO I KNOW I AM A GOOD FIT?* The Energy Corps is seeking students with interest in community organizing, social entrepreneurship, energy
efficiency, renewable energy, social marketing, climate policy, and social justice. If you have a passion for making real change, this program is for you.
*THE DETAILS*. Energy Corps interns will work full time June 1st through August 15th. Paid internships are available ($10 per hour). Interns will be based at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Tompkins County, 615 Willow Ave, Ithaca.
*TO APPLY*. Still reading? Your future is calling! For more information or to learn how to apply, contact: Shawn Lindabury [see email image] 607-272-2292