Open-ended, Inquiry-based, Group-oriented Labs and Equipment

Describe and/or review kits and lab equipment.
shawn
Site Admin

Open-ended, Inquiry-based, Group-oriented Labs and Equipment

Post by shawn »

David Hammond provided me with this list of equipment and designs he offers:
  • Greenhouse Effect Simulation Chambers w/light-source;
    Ice and Sediment Core Models, for correlating atmospheric [CO2] and global avg. temp. over the past 150,000 yrs;
    Network Failure Mode Simulator, designed to to teach the concept of interconnectedness in biospheres, businesses, distribution networks, etc.;
    Population Dynamics Simulator, in the form of a "Sim-city" style game, but not using a computer;
    "Greenhouse DodgeBall", a non-competitive, team-oriented Phys. Ed. activity that runs a climate-change simulator and generates data for science/math study;
    "Build a Solar-Powered Micro-Vehicle"; a unit I'm currently designing for the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association -NESEA - that allows students, as either part of a physics, chemistry or technology course, or as an after-school enrichment activity, to design, construct and test a Tour de Sol compliant solar-electric-assist bike or trike.\
    All but the last-mentioned projects can be constructed from components available in super-hardware and craft stores, using simple hand tools, at a cost of approx. $200.00 or less. My intention is to market these plans and curricula via internet, but I will make them initially available gratis, to any teacher who promises to give me detailed field/classroom performance feed-back (a "Beta-Test" program, if you will)
All will be adaptable to 7 - 12th grade implementation, in public, private and vocational school settings.

if interested, contact me at
David A. Hammond
14 Elm Park, Apt. 3,
Groveland, MA 01834
1-978-689-5610

dabbotthammond at comcast dot net