STEM Chemistry

Reviews, ideas, or complete lesson plans. Please include the subject and perhaps the appropriate grade level in your subject line.
rlmccarthy

STEM Chemistry

Post by rlmccarthy »

My county is implementing a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Program this coming year and I am co-teaching STEM chemistry and algebra 2. I wanted to incorporate energy conservation and transfer into our curriculum via engineering/technology projects. My hope is to inspire the future renewable/inexhaustable energy scientist for our future generations. If anyone has ideas for this "engineering challenges" please email me, rlmccarthy [[at]] smcps.org.
Thank You!!!
shawn
Site Admin

Engineering challenges for STEM chemistry

Post by shawn »

One big chemical engineering challenge for sustainable energy is to make better-performing batteries. Could you have students learn about the manufacturing process, try to make some batteries in the classroom, and discuss how they might turn them into salable items?
shawn
Site Admin

STEM Chemistry energy transfer engineering

Post by shawn »

You might be able to generate hydrogen from wind using a tabletop turbine and a small fuel cell. At the Massachusetts Science Fair, I reviewed a project where students used a LEGO motor as a generator to power LEDs in series, thus proving the dynamo could provide enough voltage to make it through the diodes. If so, then it could also run a fuel cell backwards to make hydrogen, and you can power the motor with a table top wind turbine.
http://kidwind.org
You would be covering energy transformations, and you could use some simple algebra to combine losses at each step, perhaps.