Please volunteer for JSS local and regional

A special forum for teachers and mentors of students designing, building, and racing cars for Junior Solar Sprint, a solar car challenge for middle school students.
shawn
Site Admin

Please volunteer for JSS local and regional

Post by shawn »

Educators: I want you to consider attending a Junior Solar Sprint race, so you can see how successful it is, how well it would add to your curriculum next year. So, I copied this announcement from our news page:

Lend a hand for a day, see award winning model solar cars in action, and contribute to the ongoing success of this highly engaging educational program for middle school kids.
JSS is run on mostly volunteer efforts, and many hands make light work and loads of fun at local area events all over the Northeast, and at the Championship in Springfield, MA, Sunday, June 10, 2007.
For local area events, please download dates, locations and contacts from the NESEA web site
http://www.nesea.org/k-12/juniorsolarsprint/
and go to Area Events.

Details on the Championship, Sunday, June 10, 2007.
Help is needed in many areas: set-up and pick up, site decoration, race track management, registration, etc. Championship volunteers get a free lunch, volunteer comfort foods, a free event t-shirt, and community service letter if requested. We seek exhibitors with renewable energy projects, like solar cars, solar novelties, human powered machines, etc.
To volunteer, to exhibit, or for more information, please contact Susan at 413-774-6051 x27.

To see photos and a movie from a local race:
http://energyteachers.org/PittsfieldJSS/index.htm
To see photos and a movie from a Northeast Championship:
http://energyteachers.org/NortheastJSS/index.htm
shawn
Site Admin

NESEA's call for volunteers at Springfield Championship

Post by shawn »

I hope you are having a great Spring. At the Junior Solar Sprint Northeast Championship, your background and expertise would be greatly appreciated to help make this year's Jr. Solar Sprint Championship another success.

Besides knowing you are helping young people learn about alternatives to fossil fuels, volunteers get a free event t-shirt, free lunch (local restaurant this year: Pizza Shark), volunteer/exhibitor treats table, and can also get a letter of community service or organizational representation upon request.

Opportunities:
Race Track, Judging, Set-Up, Break Down, Scorekeeping, Announcing, Registration, Exhibit Manager, Repair Table, and more.

Also, we are seeking renewable energy exhibits, innovations & products to inspire the attendees.

When:
Sunday, June 10, 2007
Time Options: Full day: 6:45am to 4:00 pm; Morning: 6:45 am to 12:00; Afternoon;
12:00 to 4:00;
Judges 7:15am to about 3:00pm

Where:
Springfield Museums Quadrangle (Rain Site: Commerce High Sports Complex)
Springfield, MA

If you are able to join us, please let me know, with your time and top role preferences, if any, and I will send you a more detailed packet (directions, parking, rules, judging criteria, etc.) about 2 weeks prior to the event.
Please feel free to call or email with any questions.

Thank You,

Susan Reyes
sreyes [[at]] nesea.org
Northeast Sustainable Energy Association
50 Miles St.
Greenfield, MA, 01301
413-774-6051 x27